About KU Leuven: Founded in 1425, KU Leuven has been a centre of learning for almost six centuries and is the oldest Catholic university in the world. Today, it is Belgium’s highest-ranked university, home to a tradition of academic excellence and ethical integrity that serves as the backbone for everything we do. KU Leuven offers a wide variety of programmes in English supported by high-quality interdisciplinary research at both the university and its acclaimed hospitals. Given its history, high-quality education, world-class research and cutting-edge innovation, KU Leuven is rightly known as one of the world’s great universities.
The KU Leuven Plant Institute (LPI) brings together all plant-related research at KU Leuven, from molecule to ecosystem and from test tube to field. It creates a stimulating interdisciplinary community for discovery, training and information with the aim of fully recognizing and using the potential of plants to create a more sustainable future.
The institute defines strategic research lines and associated opportunities (for multi- and interdisciplinary collaboration, funding, and valorization) and coordinates and optimizes resources, infrastructure and expert support. In addition, the institute aims to increase the visibility of KU Leuven’s plant-related research and functions as a central point of contact within the university as well as for the broader research community, policy makers, industry, press and general public. It thus also actively contributes to and feeds the public debate through science outreach and supports science-based policy making with substantiated expert information.
- – Coordinate and manage the LPI day-to-day as member of the executive board.
- – Act as primary contact for plant-related research at KU Leuven
- – Actively explore and initiate new interdisciplinary research and network opportunities in both fundamental and more applied plant-related research (with partners from within and outside LPI).
- Matchmake calls in diverse funding schemes with research partners within LPI.
- – Coordinate networking events, seminars and training days in collaboration with LPI administrative staff.
- Enhance the visibility of the LPI by participation in networking and outreach events, through contacts with the press, and by coordinating social media accounts and keeping the website up to date (in collaboration with LPI administrative staff and YoungLPI).
- Support YoungLPI, LPI’s community of early career scientists (PhD students and postdoctoral researchers).
- – Experience and broad interest in plant-related research (PhD).
- – Excellent networking and communication skills.
- – Interest in and/or experience with science communication
- – Able to work independently and pro-actively in an international and multicultural environment, sense of initiative.
- – Ambitious and dedicated, with multitasking and problem-solving skills, able to meet deadlines.
- – Interest in translation and valorisation of fundamental research.- English proficiency, verbally and in writing. Dutch proficiency is a plus.
- – A dynamic working environment (in the beautiful city of Leuven) with very diverse, motivated and competent researchers, in which quality, professionalism and collaboration are key values.
- – Collaboration with academic and professional stakeholders in an international environment.
- – Opportunities for personal initiative in collaboration with the LPI executive board.
- – A full time or 80% position in a 1-year contract, extended after positive evaluation.
- – A budget for travel and expenses.
- – A position as academic staff (BAP, post-doc) with salary in barema 44, depending on your relevant experience.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Filip Rolland, tel.: +32 16 32 15 39, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Cathy Hendrickx, tel.: +32 16 32 15 02, mail: email@example.com. You can apply for this job no later than January 30, 2023 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.