You are invited for a PhD position in the Air Quality and Particle Technology group (Dr. J. Wang). You will matriculate in ETH Zürich and will also work at Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research. Position starting from May 2023 or upon agreement.
Project background: The research is related to the development of aerosol technologies for bioaerosol sampling, detection and risk management. Bioaerosols, including airborne bacteria, viruses, fungi, and fragments of these organisms pose risks to humans. Even minute amounts of inhaled bioaerosols may cause adverse health impacts such as infectious diseases, allergic diseases, and reactions to toxins or irritants.
Emerging hazardous components such as antibiotic resistance genes and metal resistance genes highlight the evolving risks due to bioaerosols. Our group is engaged in the development of various sensors targeting biological pollutants, which have strong synergy with aerosol technologies for bioaerosol sampling, detection and control.
You will be involved in tasks such as
- To develop active and passive sampling methods for bioaerosols with high efficiencies;
- To apply novel sensors and genetic testing techniques to analyze bioaerosols;
- To investigate the effects of environmental factors on the transmission of bioaerosols;
- To investigate the technologies for bioaerosol inactivation.
- We are looking for an individual with a master’s level degree in biochemistry, bioengineering, mechanical engineering, or related fields with excellent grades.
- Good experimental capability is of high value.
- Good command of English is required.
We offer: ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We value diversity: In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- curriculum vitae
- a complete academic transcript including undergraduate and graduate courses
- copies of diploma/certificates
- contact information of 2-3 potential referees
- a short description of research interests
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. For further information please contact Prof. Wang, at email@example.com (no applications).
About ETH Zürich:
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.