Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium, founded in 1817. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research within a wide range of scientific domains. We are a pluralistic university open to all, regardless of ideological, political, cultural or social background. Our credo is ‘Dare to Think’.
Job description: 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research. The research will be focused on high resolution remote sensing in agriculture (UAV and satellite). The most important research task is the development of a new deep learning method to directly asses food losses and yield in vegetable and fruit crop fields using UAV-based very high resolution RGB data. This research makes part of the FOLOU project, a Horizon 2020 project with 14 different international partners aiming to minimize food loss at the farm level.
30% of your assignment will be spent on project coordination. It will be your task to coordinate the activities in a Work Package within FOLOU. This WP, on Innovative Tools to measure Food Losses, has 4 different partners involved. You are expect to connect with the researchers, follow up the activities, and ensure that deliverables are met on time.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate obtained max. 6 years ago (determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma), preferably in the domain of Bio-science engineering or Computer sciences.
- You are experienced with deep learning and remote sensing.
- You are interested in agricultural and environmental sciences.
- You have a good academic record with proven skills to publish and present your research.
- You have excellent communication skills and are proficient in English.
- Experience with project coordination is recommended.
- In the framework of international exchange and mobility, we are looking for an international candidate.
How to apply
Send your application to Wouter.Maes@UGent.be. We do not accept late applications.
Your application must include the following documents:
- your CV and an overview of your study results and academic records (merged into one pdf file)
- your application letter in pdf format
- a transcript of the PhD (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
Last application date Jan 25, 2023 00:00
Department LA21 – Department of Plants and Crops
Contract Limited duration
Degree PhD (obtained max. 6 years ago), preferably in the domain of Bio-science engineering or Computer sciences
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
Ghent University is one of the major Belgian universities and one of the leading institutions of higher education and research in the Low Countries. Located in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium and the cultural and economical heart of Europe, Ghent University is an active partner in national and international educational, scientific and industrial cooperation.
We distinguish ourselves as a socially committed and pluralistic university in a broad international perspective. Ghent University is an enterprising university with an international appeal. Driven by our motto ‘Dare to think’ we encourage students and staff members to adopt a critical approach.