The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) at the University of Luxembourg invites applications from highly motivated PhD candidates in the general area of modelling and control of wastewater networks within its Automation & Robotics Research Group (ARG). SnT is carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners.
The SnT Automation & Robotics Research Group is a strong and motivated research team led by Prof. Holger Voos. The group focuses on situational awareness and advanced control in the automation of complex systems such as autonomous vehicles and robots, manufacturing plants or wastewater and energy networks. Herein, solutions are investigated that combine optimization-based approaches with methods from artificial intelligence or machine learning.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
This is a fully funded position for 3 years (extendable to an additional 4th year) within a national research project in collaboration with RTC4Water. RTC4Water’s main product is a customized, fully autonomous and predictive software which continuously optimizes the flow and storage of drinking water (or wastewater) in a client’s network, based on General Predictive Control. In this project, the real-time drinking water consumption data will be linked to a new wastewater network control approach and to assess the impact on its performance and reliability.
Furthermore, the pollution load of wastewater will be considered in the control of the sewage flow. The overall concept will be implemented in the software system of RTC4Water as well as tested and validated using a highly advanced modelling software. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Holger Voos and the R&D team at RTC4Water and will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the collaboration project with RTC4Water as described
- Carry out research in the predefined areas
- Perform experimental validation with suitable simulation software
- Disseminate results through scientific publications
- Present results in renowned international conferences and workshops
Qualification: The candidate should possess an MSc degree or equivalent in Electrical or Control Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or in another related discipline.
Experience: The ideal candidate should have knowledge and experience in some of the following topics:
- Modelling of water and wastewater systems and networks
- Control and Automation of complex network systems
- advanced scientific and mathematical competencies in the domain of uncertainty in complex systems
- development skills in Phyton and Scientific Python environment
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Complete picture of the perks we offer
- Discover our Partnership Programme
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL05370
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 38028 (full time)
How to apply
Application should include:
- Full CV, including list of publications and name (and email address, etc) of three referees
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken (in English)
- Research statement and topics of particular interest to the candidate (300 words)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History.
In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org