We are looking to recruit a Postdoctoral Researcher from the field of Applied Bioinformatics: Are you interested in pushing nanopore sequencing for important maize traits? Come and join us 2year postdoc,
Would you like to contribute to sustainable plant use through your work? Then the Subinsitute of Bioinformatics (IBG-4) at the Institute of Biosciences and Geosciences is the right place for you. The team of Prof. Usadel works on and develops methods and algorithms to achieve a fundamental understanding of high-dimensional data and processes in the bio-economy, focusing on e.g. data analysis, research data management and data integration, among other things.
The subinstitute of Prof. Usadel is part of the project “CORNWALL – Improving maize lignocellulosic materials for the bioeconomy”. The aim of this project is to identify new non-transgenic maize varieties that show altered yield of sugar derived from lignocellulosic biomass. Here, the incumbent will develop and apply cutting edge nanopore sequencing to link bioenergetic traits to genomic regions.
- You will develop and tune targeted resequencing of maize inbred lines using the oxford nanopore platform
- You will perform genotyping by sequencing using RADseq of landrace hybrids and analyze the results in order to detect and call markers and interact with the partners that phenotype these lines
- You will present the scientific results at project meetings and international conferences and publish them in high-ranking scientific journals
- PhD in biology, genomics or bioinformatics with strong experience in applied omics
- Practical experience in molecular biology
- Good experience in Scripting a scientific programming language, e. g. R or Python
- Linux experience is desirable
- Experience with Oxford Nanopore sequencing is a plus
- Very good cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a distributed team in an international and interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication skills in English are mandatory
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Interdisciplinary Data Science and applied bioinformatics in a highly productive research project
- Extensive further training offer
- A wide range of offers for combining work and family
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e. g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is for a fixed term of 2 years, with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits will conform to the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund), pay group 13, depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks assigned to them.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application by 5.2.2023