The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of organic agriculture and employs around 300 people in Switzerland. FiBL’s strengths are interdisciplinary research, joint innovations with farmers and the food industry as well as rapid knowledge transfer. FiBL Switzerland’s expertise is also in demand beyond the country’s borders. It is therefore involved in numerous international projects, research, extension and training, as well as development cooperation.
Starting from March 1, 2023, the Department of Food System Sciences is looking for a qualified PhD student in agricultural sustainability and impact assessment (100 %, 4 years).
- Acquire in-depth understanding of farmers perceptions and decision making related to farm management and sustainable development
- With the project team you will develop and launch a sustainability self-assessment tool and facilitate its application across a large sample of Swiss organic farmers
- Evaluate the impact of a sustainability self-assessment and networking platform including targeted e-extension and advisory services on farmers decision-making fostering sustainability
- Completed studies (university, university of applied sciences, higher technical college) in the field of Environmental, Sustainability, Agricultural or Food System Sciences or a related field.
- You have a good understanding of Swiss farming systems and are enthusiastic about contributing to improve overall sustainability of Swiss farms.
- Excellent knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
- Experience with collecting data through interviews and/or questionnaires
- Practical experience with statistical analysis and/or systematic analysis of qualitative data
- Commitment to finalise a PhD, develop excellent research skills through further training and supervise students at the Bachelor and Master level
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve team and project goals
What we offer
FiBL offers a workplace culture characterised by efficient, uncomplicated work and numerous opportunities to help shape the institute. As a research institute with a great global network, we consider training opportunities and further education for our employees highly important.
Arrangements for working from home, flexible annual working hours and the possibility of part-time work create a good work-life balance. FiBL employees also enjoy excellent organic food at our in-house restaurant and a workplace surrounded by a lush and green landscape.
Does this position interest you? Gianna Lazzarini: +41 (0)62 865-1717 Email: email@example.com will be happy to answer any further questions. We would be pleased to receive your application documents by 29 January 2023 via firstname.lastname@example.org.