The Ecosystem Dynamics and Forest Management Group focuses on understanding the impacts of global change on forest ecosystems. In the context of an “AI lighthouse project for environment, climate, nature and resources” funded by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, we offer a PhD position studying climate change impacts and adaptation options for Germany’s forests.
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe’s top universities. It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education and the active promotion of young scientists. The Ecosystem Dynamics and Forest Management Group , part of TUM’s School of Life Sciences, focuses on understanding the impacts of global change on forest ecosystems.
We apply a wide range of methods, from experimentation, empirical research and landscape modeling to remote sensing and artificial intelligence. In the context of an “AI lighthouse project for environment, climate, nature and resources” funded by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment we offer a PhD position studying climate change impacts and adaptation options for Germany’s forests.
You will contribute to a better quantitative understanding of the potential of forest management adaptation in Germany. To that end, you will:
- develop forest management scenarios for climate change adaptation in Germany
- running simulations with a process-based model considering climate change and management scenarios
- support with forestry know-how in the development of a decision support system
- publish results in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Master’s degree in forestry or a related field
- Experience with quantitative analyses and simulation models is an advantage
- Knowledge of the forest in Germany and its management is desirable
- Experience with using ecosystem models is beneficial
- Team player, excited about future forest development
- Willingness to publish and present research at workshops and conferences
- Fluency in English
- work within a multidisciplinary research group at the frontier of the field
- the possibility to further develop your research agenda within an international network of collaborators
- a diverse and inclusive work environment
- flexibility with regard to office solutions and working hours
The position is available from April 1st 2023 onwards. It is a full-time position for three years. The salary is based on group TV-L E13 (65%) of the payment scheme for the German public sector. Place of work is Freising, Germany.
The Technical University of Munich is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. TUM aims for an increase of the proportion of women, and women are therefore especially encouraged to apply for the position. Applications from people with disabilities / special needs will be considered preferentially.
Please send your application with relevant documents by 03.03.2023 at the latest to:
- Technical University of Munich
- Chair of Ecosystem Dynamics and Forest Management in Mountain Landscapes
- attn. Violeta Aramayo
- Hans-Carl-von-Carlowitz-Platz 2
- 85354 Freising
- Email: email@example.com
For questions related to the project and description of work feel free to contact Werner Rammer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In case of an online application (preferred) we ask you to send the documents collected in a single pdf file. In case of a written application, we ask you to send us copies only, as we are unfortunately unable to return your application documents once the procedure has been completed.
Data Protection Information: As part of your application for a position at the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you will be submitting personal data. Please refer to our data protection information in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO) regarding the collection and processing of personal data as part of your application. By submitting your application, you confirm that you have taken note of TUM’s data protection information.
Data Protection Information:
When you apply for a position with the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you are submitting personal information. With regard to personal information, please take note of the Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. (data protection information on collecting and processing personal data contained in your application in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have acknowledged the above data protection information of TUM.