We are an interdisciplinary research institute, analysing and developing sustainable land-use opportunities on farm/forest stand and landscape levels. We address all aspects of sustainability (ecology, economics, and social concerns) and have developed strong expertise in robust multi-objective optimization, quantification and integration of economic risks and uncertainties, and bioeconomic modeling of continuous cover forest management. In addition to applications in German forestry, the models developed have contributed to solving land-use problems in other countries in Europe, Africa and Latin America.
Your mission: As part of your PhD you will work at TU Munich at the Campus in Freising on the project “FORECO” funded by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture. The objective of FORECO is to provide tools for the identification and operationalization of sustainable and multifunctional forest use and management strategies that simulta-neously consider ecological and economic risks arising from biotic and abiotic stresses in the coming decades (e.g. drought, storms, bark beetles). In close cooperation with stakeholders at local, national and EU level, we will develop adaptation strategies, especially with regard to the increasing vulnerability of forests and the uncertainty about future developments.
Your goal is to combine (and further develop) an innovative, risk-sensitive multi-criteria optimization approach with Monte Carlo Simulations to integrate disturbance events and the following forest recovery in a comprehensive valuation of forest management alternatives. This will estimate potential trends in forest ecosystem functioning, ecosystem service provision, and optimal management regimes under changing biotic and abiotic threats and consideration of timber markets.
With this unique combination of data, economic and ecological modelling, and incorporation of expert knowledge, we expect to gain new insights into the dynamics of forest responses to biotic and abiotic threats with important implications for sustainable forest management and its contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Ideally your profile:
- Enthusiastic about science and a longing for knowledge
- You enjoy learning and developing scientific knowledge as well as practical solutions
- Your high motivation and perseverance distinguish you both professionally and personally
- Excellent diploma or master’s degree in forest sciences or a thematically related field of study
- Experience with risk-sensitive multi-criteria optimization and process-based models is a benefit
- Exciting, challenging task and the opportunity for a doctoral degree
- Development opportunity to grow personally and your professional skills
- Social activities organized by colleagues such as excursions, Christmas party and summer barbecue
- Inspiring and pleasant working atmosphere in a dynamic team characterized by openness and team spirit
- Flexibility and self-responsibility
- Vibrant international and interdisciplinary university life
- Great opportunities for scientific exchange, cooperation and networking
- The part-time position is remunerated according to TV-L E13 with 65% and initially limited to three years
- The place of work is Freising
TUM is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified people of all genders are encouraged to apply. TUM strives to increase the proportion of women, so applications from women are especially welcome. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference, if they essentially have the same qualifications.
Curious about the offered position?
We kindly invite you to apply and are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive standard application documents (cover letter including a short outline of career goals and research experience, a detailed CV with a list of publications if available, certificates and contact information of two referees). Please send your documents as single PDF-file to Ms. Dejon: email@example.com.We are hiring as soon as possible! Application closing date is 20.02.2023!
Please feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Knoke (Tel: 08161 71-4700, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Data Protection Information:
When you apply for a position with the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you are submitting personal information. With regard to personal information, please take note of the Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. (data protection information on collecting and processing personal data contained in your application in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have acknowledged the above data protection information of TUM.