ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY AND UNIVERSITY OF ANTWERP: Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programs grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, future-oriented university. It offers innovative academic education to more than 20,000 students, conducts pioneering scientific research and plays an important service role in society. With more than 6,000 employees from 100 different countries, the future is being built every day. Together, boundaries are shifted and direction is given to the future. And you contribute to these goals and aspirations. .
– You are responsible for the implementation of a scientific project in which you investigate how biogenic organic volatile molecules (bad odors in the home environment) influence the phyllosphere and rhizosphere microbial community.
– You investigate how you can modify plant microbial communities to degrade these biogenic organic molecules and thus remove bad odors.
– You explore whether these relevant and most suitable bacteria from the phyllosphere and rhizosphere can be isolated for practical application.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
– You have a Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Bioscience Engineering Technology, Industrial Sciences: Biochemistry, or Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Master of Science in Biochemical Engineering Technology
– You like experimental research, you take initiative.
– You invest in clear communication within a larger team of people.
– Experience with plants, plant physiology and microbiology is recommended.
– Basic knowledge of software packages R and Python is recommended.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
– We offer you a contract of definite duration for the period of 4 years.
– Your contract will start on 1/04/2023 at the earliest.
– The appointment is 50% at UGent and 50% at UAntwerpen
– Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale WM1 to WM4 (if you hold a Master’s degree). Click here for more information about our salary scales.
– All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see apply now below). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: a reference letter and an overview of your study results,
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB. As Ghent University and the University of Antwerp maintain an equal opportunity and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
→ Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
→ Department: BW21 – Plant en Gewas
→ Occupancy rate:100%
→ Type of employment: Contract of unlimited duration with a 4 year clause
→ Term of assignment:
→ Wage scale: WM1 to WM4 (master degree)
→ Required diploma: Master
→ Apply before 01/03/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time)