The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
Research at ZALF is based on simulation as a foundation of scientific work. In the Research Platform “Data Analysis & Simulation”, modern procedures of statistical analysis and advanced simulation models are developed and applied to large data sets from agricultural landscape research.
Within the framework of the DFG-funded research project DE-Yields, the spatial and temporal patterns of yields of the main crop species in Germany are to be investigated with the aim of improving the prediction of regional yields. For this task, we are looking for a candidate to start on 01.06.2023 for 36 months at the Müncheberg site. PhD student (f/m/d) 21-2023
- merging yield, management and soil information into a consistent data set
- analysis of yield patterns of crop species in Germany using multivariate statistics on different scales
- simulation of historical yield formation using a yield model
- identification of the largest uncertainty factors in the yield model and improvement of model performance using artificial intelligence methods
- Master’s degree with distinction in geosciences or agricultural sciences
- experience with statistics and geo-information systems
- programming experience in Python or R
- interest in simulation models
- fluent written and spoken English
Additional beneficial skills:
- team player
- communication skills
- an independent and well-organised work style and time management
What we offer:
- a versatile job in which you can contribute with your professional skills and personality
- an interdisciplinary working environment that promotes independent action and independent work
- support in reconciling work and family life
- grouping in accordance with the collective agreement of the Länder (TV-L) up to EG 13 (65%) including annual bonus payment
- company ticket
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 21-2023 until 31 March 2023 to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Nendel, Tel. 033432/82-355. For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.