The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
The project Safe-H2O-Farm (an EU-funded research project) attempts to implement different modeling approaches for estimating nitrate leaching and salinization across the spatial scales for tomato fields and olive groves. Integrating process-based modeling and remote sensing will be employed as an innovative approach for detecting nitrogen management and salt stress effects on study crops and soil conditions in Mediterranean environments.
Subject to funding and limited to 36 months, ZALF offers at our location in Müncheberg a PhD position (65%) in process-based crop modelling and remote sensing (f/m/d)
- development of new components and routines for the representation of field tomato and olive trees in the process-based simulation model MONICA
- integration of satellite-driven sensing information and MONICA for capturing nitrate leaching and salinization
- collaborating with experimentalists and app developers in different institutions internationally for exchanging required data for modeling and deliver reliable model outputs
- be part of an international research team, contribute to international journals, and present results internationally
- completed university studies in environmental science, agriculture or geosciences
- basic knowledge on modeling and remote sensing data
- programming experience in Python or R
- good command of English (written and spoken)
- experience in Mediterranean agricultural systems would be a plus
What we offer:
- an interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- salary classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) up to EG 13 (65%), including special annual payment
- a collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
- a company ticket for local public transport that connects Müncheberg to Berlin
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 22-2023 until 15 March 2023 to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Dr. Ehsan Eyshi Rezaei, Tel. +49 (0) 33432/82-161. For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.