The State Museum of Natural History in Stuttgart (SMNS) with ca. 170 employees is one of the largest natural history museums in Germany and sees itself as a future-oriented research and educational institution. Thanks to a research initiative supported by the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts, regional changes in biodiversity are thoroughly investigated in order to better face current and future challenges.
With roughly 200,000 specimens, the SMNS houses one of the largest collections of hornworts, deciduous trees and liverworts in Germany, with a focus on southwest Germany.
At the interface between laboratory logistics/technology and research, we are looking for a highly motivated full-time technical assistant (m/f/d) for the research group “Diversity Change and Evolution of Bryophytes”, headed by Dr. Thomas Kiebacher.
Your main tasks:
- Laboratory work for the research group
- Morphological microscopic examinations, preparation and photographic documentation of microscopic samples, macro photography
- Digital development and management of current and historical distribution and collection data as a basis for scientific work by the members of the working group
- Handling of current and historical herbarium specimens
- Active participation in field work in sometimes physically demanding and impassable terrain
- Supervision of interns, volunteers, etc.
- Completed vocational training as a technical assistant (BTA, MTA, LTA), biology laboratory assistant or possibly a comparable university education in the field of botany/ecology/biology/environmental sciences (Bachelor, Master) with proven practical expertise
- High motivation and ability to work and learn independently
- Experience with molecular methods; willingness to learn new techniques
- Experience with microscopy and preparation of small biological objects
- Interest in working with bryophytes and biodiversity
- High level of communication skills in English are desired
- Tech affinity and confidence in handling of common IT systems and databases and willingness to actively participate in data entry/data management
We offer you:
- Remuneration up to E9b TV-L full-time (job-sharing possible); the position is limited until September 2026
- an attractive workplace in the center of Stuttgart
- Flexitime and family-friendly working hours
- a subsidized ticket for local public transport (JobTicket BW)
- Participation in company health management
- Training opportunities
The position is available as of mid-April 2023. Applications in German and English are equally welcome. The SMNS aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where women are underrepresented and therefore strongly encourages applications from qualified women. Individuals with disabilities will be given priority for employment if equally qualified.
Please submit your electronic application – in a single PDF file – with a cover letter, curriculum vitae and relevant certificates no later than March 24, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org . Interviews are scheduled for March 30, 2023.
For information please contact Dr. Thomas Kiebacher, Tel.: +49(0)711/8936-209, Email: email@example.com ) or Dr. Holger Thüs (Tel.: +49 (0)711/8936-175). Data protection information for applicants can be found on our homepage under “Jobs”.
Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart