The State Museum of Natural History in Stuttgart (SMNS) with ca. 170 employees is one of the largest natural history museums in Germany and sees itself as a future-oriented research and educational institution. Thanks to a research initiative supported by the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts, regional changes in biodiversity are thoroughly investigated in order to better face current and future challenges.
At the interface between laboratory logistics/technology and research, we are looking for a full-time technical assistant (m/f/d) with a strong enthusiasm for bee research and capabilities in data digitization and utilization.
This position is to be integrated in the new “Insect-Plant Interactions” research group led by Dr. Michael Orr. The group’s research program leverages a wide variety of techniques to explore how floral specialization, among other dynamics, have shaped bee evolution, including molecular analysis (especially phylogenomics) and distributional modelling.
The candidate is expected to have practical experience in both lab work and bee preparation, and ideally have a special interest in digitization and collection management.
Main duties are:
- Database entries of bee data including identifications, location, behavior, etc. for biodiversity analysis (Microsoft Access or other databasing software)
- Biodiversity data integration across different sources (e.g. GBIF) and in some cases with environmental data (e.g. QGIS, ArcMap)
- Assisting in fieldwork for bee collections, preparing and labelling the specimens and processing for long-term storage in the collection
- Implementation and coordination of laboratory work for the research group (e.g. DNA-Extraction, PCR, Gel electrophoresis etc.)
- Digitization of the collection specimens at other institutions
- Completed training as preparatory technical assistant, entomological technician, or with comparable professional experience in the field of scientific collection management, ideally with bees or completed vocational training as a technical assistant (BTA, MTA, LTA), biology laboratory assistant;
- Alternatively a comparable university education in the field of entomology/ecology/biology/ environmental sciences (Bachelor, Master) with proven practical expertise
- Solid experience in insect collections
- Experience with database entry and data checking and validation
- Tech affinity and confidence in handling of common IT systems and databases
- Personal engagement and discipline, ability to work independently, organizational skills
- High level of communication skills in English and German, and the ability to work in an international team
- Experience with molecular work and prior knowledge on wild bee identification and general biology are an asset
We offer you:
- Remuneration up to E9b TV-L full-time (job-sharing possible); the position is limited until September 2026
- Collaboration in an internationally renowned research museum
- Co-authorship in collaborative manuscripts
- An attractive workplace in the center of Stuttgart
- Flexitime and family-friendly working hours
- Participation in company health management
- a subsidized ticket for local public transport (JobTicket BW)
The position is available as of April 2023. Applications in German and English are equally welcome. The SMNS aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where women are underrepresented and therefore strongly encourages applications from qualified women. Individuals with disabilities will be given priority for employment if equally qualified.
Please submit your electronic application – in a single PDF file, max. 5 MB – with a cover letter, curriculum vitae detailing research and other job-relevant activities and skills, and relevant certificates no later than March 24, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org . Interviews are scheduled for April 3, 2023.
For information please contact Dr. Michael Orr (Tel.: +49(0)711/8936-237 or email: email@example.com ) or Dr. Hossein Rajaei (Tel.: +49(0)711/8936-223). Data protection information for applicants can be found on our homepage under “Jobs”.
Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart