Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
Opportunity for a Postdoctoral position in the AGRILOOP project on microbial protein production “AGRILOOP: Pushing the frontier of circular agriculture by converting residues into novel economic, social and environmental opportunities”
YOUR TASKS: AgriLoop is a Horizon Europe research project that aims to improve the recovery of highly functional native molecules from primary and secondary residues from the agrifood industry value chain and to tailor bioconversion schemes towards microbial proteins and polyesters, to overcome the limitations related to feedstock complexity, processes eco-efficiency and end-products performances.
The postdoctoral researcher at Ghent University will contribute to Agriloop by developing a microbial protein production process using organic acids derived from biomass fermentations. The production will be done with pure cultures or synthetic microbiomes and aims at evaluating the impact of the input organic acids on the microbial protein product, and delivering the input information towards a scale up production.
The postdoctoral researcher will be integrated in Prof. Ramon Ganigué’s group, which aims to develop novel production routes for sustainable feed and food. The postdoctoral researcher will have the opportunity to collaborate with other team members in current or new scientific projects within the research interests of the group.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
You hold a thesis-based doctorate in biotechnology, environmental engineering, bioscience engineering or equivalent, completed or at least submitted before the start date of the position.
Experience in the field of (pure) culture biotechnology, aerobic fermentations and/or aerobic microbial processes will be greatly appreciated.
Scientific knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of microbiology, biotechnology and bioprocess engineering.
- Hands on experience in bioreactor construction and operation.
- Ability to rigorously design experiments and to perform experiments under well-controlled conditions.
- Ability to work with analytics, including Chromatography
- Ability to rigorously design and perform experiments in a result-oriented and thorough manner.
- Ability to perform in-depth and critical data analysis.
- Ability to communicate through high-quality scientific channels, e.g. WoS publications (A1).
- Ability to write detailed scientific technical reports.
Personal knowledge and skills:
- A strong interest in inter/multi-disciplinary applied science.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with team members from different backgrounds and in different research areas.
- Capacity to mentor/lead/supervise small groups of PhD students and/or master thesis students.
- Excellent skills for time management and the ability to meet objectives within strictly set deadlines.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English are strictly required (C1 level).
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently.
- Outcome focused, hands-on mentality.
- Willingness to travel internationally for project meetings and conferences.
- Willingness to apply for scholarships to obtain additional funding.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- We offer you a full-time contract of definite duration for the period of 1 year, renewable after positive evaluation for another year.
- Important information: this appointment can also occur as a postdoctoral bursary, in case the candidate meets the criteria for this type of employment.
- Your contract will start on 1/06/2023 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1 to PD4. Click here for more information about our salary scales.
All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- Cover Letter. The cover letter should include the position reference, your contact address and telephone number. It is an opportunity -in not more than one page- to introduce yourself and highlight the key reasons you should be considered for the role, taking into account the required skills.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. A resume is a brief history of your employment and experience that covers the following areas:
- Educational qualifications and professional affiliations that detail the full title of the qualification, the year awarded and the title of the institution attended;
- Employment history in chronological order, starting with current position and specifying dates of employment, title of each position, name of employer, main duties or accountabilities and achievements;
- Research fields and current interests, publications (full list as attachment with three most significant marked with an asterisk, also indicating impact factors and Quartiles according to Web of Science), research grants awarded.
- The names and contact details (address, telephone, e-mail) of three referees, including if possible a senior person (preferably your supervisor, manager or head of organisational unit) closely associated with your current work. A referee must be able to comment on your work experience, skills and performance with respect to the selection criteria.
- Selection Criteria. A statement addressing how each of the selection criteria has been met is required to assist the Selection Committee determine whether you have the relevant qualifications, knowledge/skills, experience and personal qualities.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB. As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
→ Apply before 31/03/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
→ Department: BW25 – Biotechnologie
→ Occupancy rate:100%
→ Number of positions: 1
→ Type of employment: Contract of limited duration
→ Term of assignment: 1 year
→ Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree)
→ Required diploma: PhD
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Ganigué (Ramon.Ganigue@UGent.be). Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.