Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 46 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. The Department of Food Technology, Engineering, and Nutrition reimagines and improves both products and processes in the food supply chain.
Our work has a clear connection to Agenda 2030 through a research focus on sustainable and nutritious food for the future. Collaboration with industry, farmers, and other research groups both inside and out of Sweden is an important component of our strategy. Several well-known food innovations have come out of the Department, e.g. Oatly and Proviva. Subject; Food technology with specialization in dairy technology.
The subject area is focused on dairy technology and covers technological and processing aspects on milk and dairy systems. Main research areas include quality aspects and genomics; structure and composition of milk and dairy products; processing and modelling in the dairy industry; as well as nutrition and health.
This includes research on the relationship between genomics/proteomics and the composition and technological properties of milk directed towards optimal and sustainable milk raw materials and processing of dairy products.
Furthermore, studies of structure as well as physicochemical and nutritional properties of milk components are included to optimize the functional quality and health effects of milk. The research also aims to study the influence of process parameters and processing on milk systems and dairy products. The research should preferably address industrial issues and needs.
Employment as an Assistant Professor is a career development position, which aims for the holder to develop his or her independence as a researcher and educator. The work duties mainly involve research and teaching. The position shall include the opportunity for five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Work duties include:
- Research within the subject area.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Administrate and maintain activities within industry agreements regarding dairy technology.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry, academy, authorities and society in a national and international environment.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Appointment to Assistant Professor requires that the applicant has a PhD, or acquired corresponding research expertise.
Priority should be given to applicants who have completed their degree or acquired the equivalent expertise no more than five years before the last date for applications.
For appointment to Assistant Professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Good oral and written proficiency in Swedish/nearby Scandinavian languages.
- Documentted experience in dairy technology and processing.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with the dairy industry including e.g. farmers.
- Documented research experience in milk genomics/proteomics in relation to milk composition and functionality.
- Documented experience of having applied for external research funding in competition.
Significant documented research experience (e.g. as postdoc or as PhD-student) from other relevant research environments than the one the position relates to, or relevant experience from industry/governmental authorities.
- Experience of having worked outside the university in an industrial context and/or experience of having worked in collaboration with industry.
- Experience of supervising doctoral students and master students.
- Experience of leadership and/or leadership training.
- Experience in food processing with a focus on dairy emulsions.
- Experience in teaching or supervising students in dairy technology and dairy processes.
Consideration will also be given to ability to cooperate, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, education and innovation within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Description of the workplace; The Department of Food Technology, Engineering, and Nutrition reimagines and improves both products and processes in the food supply chain. Our work is clearly linked to the UN Sustainable Development Goals “Zero hunger”, “Good health and well-being” and “Responsible consumption and production”. We work with both basic research and applied research. Our strategy in both research and teaching is to have close national and international contacts with other research groups, social actors and businesses all the way farmers to food industry and food distribution.
As an employee at our department, you will, in addition to the dairy area, have colleagues with expertise in process technology, modelling, nutrition and food-related health, drug formulation and more. You will have access to both advanced analysis equipment in our labs and larger equipment in our pilot hall.
This year we plan to invest in a simulator of the gastrointestinal tract and its microbial ecosystem, which opens up for new exciting research projects. There is, of course, also the possibility to apply for research time at the international research facilities Max IV and ESS.
Our department is one of three in the building complex Kemicentrum and we have extensive collaboration with the other two: the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Chemistry at Lund University. This collaboration not only involves research and teaching but also, for example, work environment issues. At the other two departments, you will find colleagues with e.g. expertise in membrane filtration, microbiology, biotechnology and NMR.
Lund University is a public authority which means that employees get particular benefits, generous annual leave and an advantageous occupational pension scheme. Read more on the University website about being a Lund University employee Work at Lund University
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 6 years. The employment is regulated in accordance with Chapter 4 Section 12a§ HEA.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more:
Promotion to Senior Lecturer in Food technology with specialization in dairy technology
During the period of employment, an Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed suitable. An Assistant Professor can only apply for promotion once.
Appointment to Senior Lecturer requires that the applicant has:
- A PhD or corresponding research competence or professional expertise considered important with regard to the subject matter of the post and the work duties it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means.
The assessment criteria specify the aspects to be taken into account, and the level to be achieved, in order for the assessment criteria to be deemed fulfilled. The following assessment criteria must be fulfilled for appointment to senior lecturer:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher.The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
- Good ability to co-operate, independence and drive.
- Progression in research and teaching expertise.
- Ability to actively, independently seek and successfully acquire external funding.
- Documented experience of successful collaboration with the dairy industry and related industries.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
Contact; Mattias Alveteg, email@example.com
Last application date 02.May.2023 11:59 PM CEST