The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of organic agriculture and employs around 300 people in Switzerland. FiBL’s strengths are interdisciplinary research, joint innovations with farmers and the food industry as well as rapid knowledge transfer. FiBL Switzerland’s expertise is also in demand beyond the country’s borders.
It is therefore involved in numerous international projects, research, extension and training, as well as development cooperation. Starting from May 1st 2023 or by agreement, the Department of Crop Sciences is looking for a qualified Scientist for the Entomology & Biodiversity group (80 – 100%).
Our expectations: The group “Entomology & Biodiversity” conducts basic and applied research on the sustainable control of plant pests and the promotion of biodiversity and its ecosystem services. The selected candidate should have focus on biodiversity but should have interest on projects involving both plant protection and biodiversity.
Our research lines focus on the needs of the farmers and on the continued development of organic agriculture. This position combines innovative research with agricultural practice to contribute significantly to the sustainability of agriculture.
- Design and planning of scientific research and extension projects, and involvement in acquiring financial resources for the projects
- The groups of organisms studied include arthropods such as pollinators, predators, parasitoids, and herbivores that can cause significant damage to crops
- You will conduct applied research on site and on commercial farms. Your tasks include the development of innovative methodologies for the promotion and monitoring of biodiversity in agricultural landscapes, planning and carrying out experiments, as well as analyzing and interpreting the data that should provide basis for publications in scientific journals and presentations at conferences, and also be written in the form of fact sheets or infographics
- Provide advice to sponsors and producers, via report and/or training, on conservation of biodiversity and implementing measures related to plant protection and to promote (agro)biodiversity
- Through your involvement in on farm research, you will be actively networking with scientists in different areas of expertise, farmers, advisors and as well as NGOs, committees, and governmental authorities (e.g. BLW)
- PhD degree in agronomy, biology, or equivalent education with specialization in Entomology
- Interest in organic farming and its conceptual and methodological development, and in participatory research with involvement of farmers
- Language: German and English, French or Italian is of additional value too
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills, strong organizational skills, motivation to do practical work in the lab, greenhouse and in the field
- Excellent knowledge of statistics that are commonly used in ecology. Knowledge of GIS or high interest in developing those skills are needed
- Knowledge of botany is of additional value
- Willingness to be involved in multiple projects that run in parallel, and work as part of a team
- An independent researcher with high ethical values
- Driving license (category B) is also a plus
What we offer
FiBL offers a workplace culture characterised by efficient, uncomplicated work and numerous opportunities to help shape the institute. As a research institute with a great global network, we consider training opportunities and further education for our employees highly important.
Arrangements for working from home, flexible annual working hours and the possibility of part-time work create a good work-life balance. FiBL employees also enjoy excellent organic food at our in-house restaurant and a workplace surrounded by a lush and green landscape.
Does this position interest you?
Dr. Dani Lucas-Barbosa, firstname.lastname@example.org Leader of the Plant Protection – Entomology & Biodiversity group and Dr. Monika Messmer, email@example.com Deputy Leader of the Crop Sciences Department will be happy to answer any further questions. To apply: We would be pleased to receive your application documents by April 14, 2023 via firstname.lastname@example.org.