Who are we looking for?
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is seeking a Research Fellow in Soil Science to join School of Biology and Environmental Science, Faculty of Science, Academic Division.
The Sustainable Agroecosystem Program within the Centre for Agriculture and Bioeconomy (CAB) and the School of Biology and Environmental Science are seeking to appoint a Research Fellow in Soil Science to further grow and enhance research capabilities within soil science and its relationship to plant production and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
This position provides an exciting opportunity as a key member of a dynamic team to contribute to the development of agronomic practices in both crop and pasture ecosystems which result in an increase in soil carbon levels and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a ‘real world’ focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the School of Biology and Environmental Science
The School of Biology and Environmental Science seeks to understand how microorganisms, fungi, plants, and animals – grow, sense, adapt, interact, and evolve. It studies how genes, species and ecosystems function and can be managed, conserved, and restored; and where appropriate apply this knowledge to biotechnological solutions. Our school brings together multidisciplinary research teams to address global challenges, ranging from food security to climate change. We work across all levels of complexity, from genes to whole organisms, and in natural to modified ecosystems. Through research, we aim to:
- significantly contribute to the advancement of food production,
- develop more resilient and nutritional crops,
- understand groundwater-soil-vegetation interactions,
- treat plant and animal diseases, and
- prevent and control pests and invasive species.
The school has an outstanding record of producing impactful pure and applied research outcomes, with ERA ratings for fields of research either at or well above world standard (ERA 2015). We are the partner of choice for research and innovation at federal, state and regional government levels, and with industry and end-users.
Our researchers currently play a leadership role in the Australian Research Council’s (ARC) Industrial Transformation Research Centre for Fruit Fly Biosecurity Innovation and the ARC Centre of Excellence in Synthetic Biology. 6 | Page School members have leadership roles and are affiliated with a number of University research centres including the Centre for Agriculture and Bioeconomy, Centre for the Environment and Centre for a Waste-Free World.
Mindful of the way in which science and engineering must be done in the 21st century, the school creates an environment where issues can be discussed, researched and resolved in a way that attends to competing priorities. Our courses in science and engineering reflect this approach as we seek to provide students with learning experiences appropriate to real world problems.
What you need to succeed
Your expertise and initiative, combined with your ability to work as an excellent team player will be vital to your success in this role.
You will demonstrate:
- Completion of a doctoral qualification in soil science which may include the environmental sciences, agriculture or closely related fields or equivalent accreditation.
- Demonstrated research experience in soil science, in particular carbon, nitrogen and water interactions in agricultural production systems and its relationship to greenhouse gas emissions.
- Demonstrated experience in laboratory and field techniques in soil science, plant and soil simulation models, spatial analysis, and remote sensing is an advantage.
- Proven success at establishing and developing internal and external partnerships that extend best practice.
- Evidence of support on national and international research outcomes including relevant publications.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and engage effectively with internal/external stakeholders.
Additional Criteria for Level B
- Post-doctoral experience, including experience in supervision of undergraduate and higher degree research students.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute research independently, manage multiple research projects, and operate to a milestone-driven research plan.
- Experience in successfully leading and developing proposals and funding applications.
Careers at QUT
Our culture is vibrant, inspiring and challenging. It’s a world where like-minds come together with a commitment to making a real world difference, no matter what the area of expertise.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Reference number: 23204
Term: Fixed-term, full-time basis for 2 years, Gardens Point campus.
Remuneration: Total remuneration range: $87,917 to $119,296 pa (LEVA) OR $125,576 to $144,422 pa (LEVB) (inclusive of $74,291 to $100,806 pa salary (LEV A) OR $106,113 to $126,022 pa salary (LEVB) , 17% superannuation and leave loading)
Location: Gardens Point
Job opens: 17-Mar-2023
Applications Close: 02-Apr-2023 at 11.30pm
Open to: Applicants who have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of the fixed-term appointment. In support of our strategic priority of Indigenous Australian success, Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
At QUT, our values reflect what we believe in, and what is important to us as an organisation. They capture our strengths, our distinctiveness and sit alongside the priorities outlined in our QUT Connections, and guide our decisions and actions.
QUT aims to inspire and shape the future with talented students and staff from diverse communities, united by our core values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, Innovation and Academic freedom.
If you’re curious, innovative, and ready to experience what a career at QUT can offer, we’re ready to meet you. You can find out more about this role and how to apply by clicking ‘Apply’ or the link below.