Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 26,500 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories – your own and those of our university. Support us from 01.06.2023 in part-time (50 %) as a Research Associate (m/f/d) in the field of Animal Husbandry, Behaviour and Welfare
In accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HessHG, the position is to be filled on a fixed-term basis at the Chair of Animal Husbandry, Behaviour and Welfare, Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics at the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Nutritional Sciences and Environmental Management with the opportunity for own academic qualification. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed for an initial period of 3 years. An extension for up to another 2 years (or 3 years in the case of a doctorate at the time of employment) is possible under the above-mentioned condition.
Your tasks at a glance
- Opportunity for own academic and didactic qualification (depending on your prior qualification, a PhD or habilitation degree can be obtained in this position), activities in research and teaching according to § 72 HessHG
- Taking on teaching duties according to the teaching obligation ordinance of the state of Hessen
- Supervision of student theses and research projects in the department
- Participation in the self-administration of the university
- Statistical analysis of research data
- Scientific publication of research results
- Development of own research ideas and preparation of proposals for research projects
Your qualifications and competences
- Completed scientific university studies (MSc or comparable degree) and, if applicable, a relevant completed doctorate in agricultural sciences, veterinary medicine, biology or related fields of study with a focus on livestock, ethology or performance/stress physiology or precision livestock farming
- Good working knowledge of German and English
- A valid driver’s license
- High degree of self-organisation
- Ability to work scientifically, proven e.g. through scientific publications and/or an above-average university degree
- Experience in using or willingness to familiarise yourself with methods of statistical analysis, using e.g. programs such as SAS, R or Python
- Experience in applying for and managing research projects and qualifications for carrying out animal experiments (FELASA-certificate) is considered an asset
- Experience in handling livestock (cattle, horses, pigs, small ruminants or poultry) will be of ad-vantage
Our offer to you
- Participation in a motivated team with a friendly working atmosphere
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities.
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate “audit familiengerechte hochschule”)
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Dr. Uta König von Borstel by e-mail (email@example.com).
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. Due to the women’s support plan, there is an obligation to increase the proportion of women. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by April 20th, 2023, indicating reference number 232/09. We look forward to receiving your application.