The Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon conducts cutting-edge international research for a changing world: Around 1,100 employees contribute to the tackling of climate change, the sustainable use of the world’s coastal systems and the resource-compatible enhancement of the quality of life. From fundamental research to practical applications, the interdisciplinary research spectrum covers a unique range.
Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS): The interdisciplinary team at Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), an institution of Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, develops science-based prototypical products and services to support decision makers from politics, economy and public administration in adapting to climate change. GERICS is an independent scientific organizational unit of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon located in Hamburg’s center.
Reference code: 50091583_4 – 2023/KG 3
Commencement date: as soon as possible
Work location: Hamburg
Application deadline: April 30th, 2023
The Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), a scientific organizational entity of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, invites applications for a Postdoc, in the EU Horizon project “Optimising forest management decisions for a low-carbon, resilient future in Europe – OptFor-EU”. The position is limited to 3 years.
GERICS develops science-based prototype products and services in support to government, administration and business in their efforts to adapt to climate change. It builds up a national and international network structure in order to integrate existing competences and knowledge, and to link various actors within the complex area of climate change.
The primary objective of the EU Horizon Project OptFor-EU is to co-develop a Decision Support System (DSS) with forest managers and other forest stakeholders, that provides them with suitable climate adaptation and mitigation options for science-based optimising forest ecosystem services including decarbonisation and enhancing forest resilience and its capacities to mitigate climate change across Europe.
Equal opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. The position can be filled part-time in principle.
- prepare high-resolution land use change datasets for future forest management scenarios in Europe for its use in regional climate models
- develop new parameterizations for implementing forest management scenarios into the regional climate model system REMO-iMOVE
- develop and evaluate regional climate model simulations for Europe considering land use changes and different forest management scenarios under present and potential future climate conditions
- develop convection-resolving climate model simulations for case study regions in Europe for different forest management scenarios according to user priorities
- research the effects and feedbacks of land use changes and climate-resilient forest management measures in Europe under present and potential future climate conditions
- contribute to stakeholder engagement in the OptFor-EU case study regions as well as to the dissemination of research results into climate resilient forest management strategies
- collaborate with OptFor-EU project partners, prepare project reports and participate in OptFor-EU project meetings
- publication of research results in peer-reviewed journals
- representing GERICS externally at scientific conferences and meetings
- PhD degree in meteorology, physics, physical geography or related disciplines in natural sciences and earth science is essential
- excellent experience in regional climate modeling and in conducting and analyzing climate model simulations is essential
- experience in developing parameterizations of forest management in regional climate models
- extensive experience in analyzing land-atmosphere interactions and knowledge of forest-climate interactions
- experience in developing land use datasets and forest management scenarios for use in regional climate models
- knowledge of climate change impacts and the development of mitigation and adaptation strategies in forest management
- skills in communicating to target audiences and experience in dialogue with forestry stakeholders are beneficial
- excellent knowledge in performing climate model simulations on high performance computers
- extensive knowledge of programming in Python and working under Linux operating systems
- excellent proficiency in English
- experience in publishing peer-reviewed articles
- motivated to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment
Content-related enquiries regarding this position can be directed to Dr. Diana Rechid (email@example.com).
We offer you
- multinational work environment with more than 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- free employee advice – Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Welcome Office, guest accommodation
- office location in the heart of the city of Hamburg in the historic Chilehaus
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, certificates, etc.) indicating the reference number 2023/KG 3 until April 30th, 2023.