Position Title: Postdoctoral Scientist in Molecular Plant Nematology in the Baum Laboratory at Iowa State University; Appointment Type: Post Doc/Trainee
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities: The Laboratory of Prof. Thomas Baum at Iowa State University is seeking to hire a new postdoctoral scientist. This position will play a key central role in our collaborations with other US and international research groups. A main area of responsibility will be in the NSF/USDA-funded project on the engineering of novel plant resistance to nematodes in collaboration with researchers at Indiana University.
This postdoctoral scientist will also contribute to the exploration of effectors and molecular virulence mechanisms of the soybean cyst nematode in collaboration with scientists at the University of Georgia and the University of Illinois. Finally, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to become involved in comparative genomic analyses of nematode parasitism in collaboration with the US Agricultural Research Service and the University of Cambridge.
This position offers an exciting research opportunity for a motivated and well-qualified scientist who seeks to take the next critical steps toward an independent research career. Our research group is committed to supporting the new laboratory member in their professional development. The incoming postdoctoral scientist is expected to work productively in a collaborative team environment and to show professionalism and respect towards all personnel.
This postdoc will design and execute experiments, analyze, archive, and interpret data, review and keep up-to-date on relevant scientific literature, prepare presentations and manuscripts, assist the principal investigator with reports and the writing of grant proposals, assist other laboratory members with training and advice, and supervise an undergraduate research assistant.
Required Minimum Qualifications: PhD in plant pathology, plant biology, molecular biology, genetics or related field
- Documented experience in molecular biology techniques including general recombinant DNA applications, RNA manipulations, quantitative RT-PCR or other gene expression technologies
- Record of first-author peer-reviewed research publications
- Experience with plant molecular biology and nematology experiments
- Familiarity with host-parasite interaction studies
- Proficiency in protein chemistry including protein-protein interactions and basic understanding of MS analyses
- Basic bioinformatic understanding
Proposed End Date or Length of Term: April 14, 2024
Number of Months Employed Per Year: 12 Month Work Period
Time Type: Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three References
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Postdocs enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
- Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
- Generous vacation, holiday, and sick time and leave plans;
- Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa);
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Various voluntary benefits and discounts
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Wellbeing Program.
Original Posting Date: March 27, 2023
Posting Close Date: April 27, 2023