Two researcher/PhD positions (m/f/d): The University of Hohenheim is an innovative and research-intensive university in the south of Stuttgart with students from around 100 nations. Generously equipped research facilities, a baroque castle and extensive parks characterize the campus. Modern teaching and cutting-edge research are combined in innovative subjects in the natural sciences, agricultural sciences, and economics and social sciences.
The Department of International Agricultural Trade and Food Security at the University of Hohenheim is seeking to fill as soon as possible. Two researcher/PhD positions (m/f/d) in pay group 13 TV-L with a weekly working time of 19.75 hours each (50% of the full-time equivalent).
The positions are fixed term until 30.06.2026 (leave of absence substitution). The department’s research and teaching focus on the role of agricultural trade, the design of international trade policies and regulations, including regional trade agreements, and their implications for agricultural and food trade, global food security, nutrition transition, and sustainable development.
In addition, the department explores different adaptation options of transformation pathways towards more sustainable agricultural and food systems with a focus on possible changes in food consumption (e.g., diets, food waste) or adaptations on the production side (e.g., irrigation, food safety and losses, fertilizer use) and their implications for global food and nutrition security. The methodological focus is on the application and further development of global and country-specific general equilibrium models.
Your tasks include:
- Supporting scientific research tasks in various projects at the department in the fields of international agricultural trade, global food security and sustainability
- Contributing to the department’s teaching activities
- Scientific supervision of bachelor and master students and student research assistants
- Support /participation in administrative activities at the department
- The possibility for further scientific qualification (PhD) is given: Research topic and agenda can be determined by the candidate in consultation with the department head within the scope of the research fields of the department, so that the position offers very good conditions for the development of an own scientific profile.
Professional requirements are:
- Master’s degree in agricultural and food economics, bioeconomics or economics or related disciplines completed at least with a grade of “good”.
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of international agricultural trade, agricultural, food, environmental policies, and global food and nutrition security
- Knowledge of general equilibrium modelling theory desirable
- Very good knowledge of quantitative and empirical methods, data processing, and the use of econometrics and statistics software; experience with simulation models is an asset
- Programming skills in STATA and R, GEMPACK and/or GAMS desirable
What you should bring personally:
- Very good English language skills, both written and oral
- Creativity and scientific curiosity
- Ability to analyse and critically evaluate complex issues
- Goal-oriented, structured and independent working style, high degree of initiative, sense of responsibility and motivation
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work in a dedicated team and interest in applied research
- Interest in working with quantitative simulation models
- An interesting and challenging job in a young, motivated and growing team
- A research-oriented environment that promotes independent work
- The Department of International Agricultural Trade and Food Security is part of the Hans Ruthenberg Institute for Tropical Agricultural Sciences at the University of Hohenheim and offers an interdisciplinary research infrastructure as well as excellent contacts in the scientific community
- Opportunity to actively participate in scientific conferences and in the qualification program of the University of Hohenheim, integration into the doctoral network of the Graduate Academy of the University of Hohenheim as well as into the nationwide Doctoral Certificate Program in Agricultural Economics (agraroekonomik.de)
- Payment according to the collective agreement of the federal states of Germany (TV-L), EG 13, 50%
- Subsidy for the job ticket of the public transport in BW
For further information on the position, please contact Dr. Kirsten Boysen-Urban (email@example.com).
Have we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your complete and informative application (short letter of motivation stating your interest and suitability for the position, CV, certificates, references, master thesis). Please address your application to Dr. Kirsten Boysen-Urban. Interviews are scheduled for calendar weeks 25 to 27.
More information on the application process: Severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified. Since the university would like to increase the proportion of female scientists, applications from women are particularly welcome. Full-time positions are generally divisible, provided that there are no compelling official concerns to the contrary.
Application deadline: 06.06.2023. The University of Hohenheim accepts applications via a secure internet site. To the application