The Research Doctorate is the third and highest level of University education and is aimed at imparting the skills and competencies necessary to carry out highly qualified research either at academic institutions or at other public or private institutions. A Doctoral programme usually has a three-year duration and may include study periods abroad as well as training activities at private and public institutions.
In Italy, the admission and recruitment processes are governed by national laws and the University’s own provisions. Every candidate must undergo an official public selection process. Some of the places available are funded; the funding bodies may be the Italian Ministry of Universities, Research and Education, the University itself on its own budget, or a public or private institution.
Eligible non-Italian candidates must hold an academic qualification awarded by a non-Italian institution, declared as equivalent to an Italian degree by the Academic Board for the sole purposes of admission to the Doctorate.
Call for applications for admission to the PhD programmes of the University of Trieste, 39th cycle (a.y. 2023/2024):
1. Environmental life sciences
2. Applied Data Science and AI
3. Molecular biomedicine
5. Circular Economy
7. Civil-Environmental Engineering and Architecture
8. Industrial and Information Engineering
9. Personalized Medicine and Innovative Therapies
11. Neural and cognitive sciences
12. Earth science, fluid-dynamics and mathematics. Interactions and methods
13. History of societies, institutions and thought. From Medieval to Contemporary History
Applicants must hold one of the following qualifications:
1. an Italian degree known as “Laurea specialistica/magistrale” or a degree awarded under the former university system (ie prior to D.M. no. 509 of 3rd November 1999, as amended by D.M. no. 270 of 22nd October 2004) – to be achieved within 31st October 2023;
2. a foreign academic qualification comparable by duration, level and academic field to the required Italian degree – unless recognized as fully equivalent to the Italian degree by an authorized Italian Higher Education Institution – and achieved within 31st October 2023. The qualification must allow access to Doctoral studies in the issuing country.
Some Doctoral Programmes may require specific academic qualifications. Please refer to the relevant “Admission” sheet for more information.
Admission is based on a competitive examination (assessment of qualifications, possibly evaluation of the project, and interview in person or by videoconference) in accordance with the procedures set out in the “Admission” attachments, including for each of the PhD Programme, the number and type of the places offered, the documentation to be uploaded, the terms and conditions for applying and the schedule of the examinations.
How to apply:
Details on the selection for each Doctoral Programme (overview, positions, funding, Board of Examiners, exam schedule, etc.) are included in APPLY NOW“
Contact: E-mail: email@example.com
Applications deadline is 15/06/2023