The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society.
ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue. locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
Within the frame of the ZALF project ” TREES research project on “Forest Landscape Restoration and Governance in the Forest sector in the tropics” – Country Package: Benin in the working group Sustainable Land Use in Developing Countries (SusLAND), we offer a research stipend (max. 36 months) temporarily limited until 30.09.2026 for a PhD student (f/m/d) 60-2023
- modelling forest landscape restoration effects on water quality and reducing sediment accumulation in the water bodies of the landscape
- establish experimental sites for estimating sediment accumulation on water bodies, measure water quality and quantity in different land use land cover categories at landscape level
- conduct ecological survey to identify tree species in the landscape and associated water uptake by the tree species
- identification of conditions, with which species or techniques of FLR could have a positive impact on water resources
- analyzing trade-offs between water quality improvement as a result of FLR and water table reduction in the landscape
- publication of scientific papers and public results presentation
- advanced University degree (Master or equivalent degree) in water resource management, forestry or agroforestry, environmental sciences or related fields
- good knowledge of experimental procedures, water quality and quantity measurements, remote sensing and GIS and forest assessment
- excellent knowledge of French AND English
- fulfill the entry requirements for PhD positions at university in Benin
- availability for extended periods of research in Benin and Germany (ZALF, Müncheberg)
What we offer:
- an interdisciplinary and international working environment
- annual stays in Germany (Berlin region), integration into the ZALF research centre
- co-supervision from German research centre
- a monthly stipend (€320,00) to cover research activities in Benin (plus adequate increase during stays in Germany)
- the funding is limited to 3 years until 30.09.2026
- job ticket
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc.
Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 60-2022 until 09 July 2023to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com.
Application documents sent by post or extensive publications will not be returned
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached. If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.