We are looking to recruit a Research Scientist – Plant Systems Biology: Data is the new resource of the 21st century, and data availability seems endless. If you`re passionate about establishing part of the data relationship life cycle for plant science, we invite you to join the Bioinformatics subinstitute (IBG-4) at the Institute of Bio- and Geosciences at Forschungszentrum Jülich.
IBG-4, led by Prof. Dr. Usadel, focuses on knowledge management, data integration, classical bioinformatics, and machine learning, especially for predicting phenotypes on biological questions concerning transcriptional reprogramming of plants during abiotic stress response, identifying metabolic pathways for secondary metabolites, and understanding plant cell wall biosynthesis.
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is for a fixed term of 2 years, with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits will conform to the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund), pay group 13, depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks assigned to them.
- Analysis and integration of diverse biological data from the field of plant sciences (next generation sequencing, large scale genomic, proteomic, metabolomic and phenotypic data) using e.g. Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Pan-Genome analyses and comparative genomics
- Development of novel tools and algorithms in the area of omics data analysis and integration
- Publications in international journals and travel to international conferences
- (Co)supervision of PhD students
- University degree (master) and doctorate in bioinformatics, computer science, data science or life science related fields with proven track record in data analysis/bioinformatics
- Knowledge in programming languages (e.g. Java, Rust, C/C++) and statistical analysis using R/BioConductor/python
- Experience with the analysis and integration (data fusion) of high throughput data such as NGS, metabolite profiling and/or plant phenotyping data
- Experience with the application of AI for data analysis and interpretation is advantageous
- Experience with plant omics data is a plus
- Experience with acquisition and administration of third-party funds is considered a plus
- Proven scientific communication skills in the form of scientific publications or equivalent
- Willingness to complement and collaborate with existing research units at the research center
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken are a requirement due to the international nature of the institute and collaborations
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure
- Creative and international team that conducts research at the frontiers of science
- The Forschungszentrum Jülich is one of the largest research centres in Europe with excellent scientific equipment, including the fastest supercomputer in Europe, is located on a green campus, and near the cultural centres of Cologne, Düsseldorf and Bonn
- A highly motivated group and an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- The possibility to develop your own research program in line with the subinstitute and center strategy
- Flexible working hours in a full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work to a degree
- 30 days of annual leave and an attractive regulation for bridging days
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e. g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible.