The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Doctoral Researcher position in Soil Nutrient Monitoring at the Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences on the Kuopio campus. The position will be filled for a fixed-term from 1 September 2023 (or starting date as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 29 June 2023.
Role and salary: We are seeking a highly motivated candidate with experience in working in soil science, biogeochemistry, chemistry, agricultural engineering, or a similar field. The person to be appointed to this position will work at the Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences in the biogeochemistry research group and will work in the EJP-SOIL funded project FAMOSOS (PI: Lukas Kohl).
In a large European consortium, FAMOSOS will develop automatic soil nitrogen sensors to that will help make agricultural fertilizer use more efficient and climate friendly. The role of the UEF team and this doctoral researcher will be to test the new sensors under laboratory and field conditions.
The work planned for this position ranges from solving technical problems with integrating soil water samplers, micropumps, and electrochemical sensors, conducting biogeochemical experiments under laboratory and field conditions, and model simulations. The position is therefore open to candidates from various backgrounds, but requires a maker/DIY mindset, programming skills, and good working knowledge of (soil) chemistry.
Domain specific knowledge in soil physics, the soil nitrogen cycle, and agricultural systems would be of advantage, but some of these can also be acquired during the position. The position enables the researcher to take part in supervising Bachelor and Master’s students, scientific writing, grant applications, scientific collaborations and teaching in suitable areas.
The position will be filled for a fixed term from 1 September 2023 (or starting date as agreed) to 30 April 2026 due to it pertaining to a specific project task and own doctoral degree. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff. The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component.
In this position, the job requirement level is based on levels 2–4 on the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance salary element is 6–50% of the job-related salary element. Depending on the personal performance component, the salary will be approximately EUR 2,448.00–3,210.00/month.
Our requirements and expectations
- A person to be appointed as a Doctoral Researcher shall be qualified to pursue postgraduate studies. A suitable degree in soil science, environmental sciences, agriculture, or other relevant field.
- Potential candidates should have a good command of the English language (working language English).
- Experience with small-scale engineering projects
- Domain-specific knowledge in biogeochemistry, nitrogen cycle, soil physics, and agricultural systems are of advantage
- Good communication and presentation capabilities as evidenced by contributions to scientific conferences and written academic texts
- The ability to work in international and multidisciplinary research teams
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
• opportunity for flexible multi-location work
• extensive occupational health care
• broad selection of staff training
• staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services
• affordable sports services and tax-free bike benefit
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting/meaningful/diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community. Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 29 June 2023 (by 24 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- a motivation letter (max. 1 page)
- other documents you wish to include to demonstrate your merits for the position (maximum 3 pages)
For further information on the position, please contact Senior Researcher Lukas Kohl, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +358 50 308 9262 For further information on the application procedure, please contact Human Resources Secretary Sara Keronen, email: email@example.com , tel. +358 50 324 1342
The Faculty of Science, Forestry and Technology operates on the Kuopio and Joensuu campuses of the University of Eastern Finland. The mission of the faculty is to carry out internationally recognised scientific research and to offer research-education in the fields of natural sciences, forestry and technology.
The faculty invests in all of the strategic research areas of the university. The faculty’s environments for research and learning are international, modern and multidisciplinary. The faculty has approximately 2,650 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students and some 440 postgraduate students. The number of staff amounts to 610.
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We have a staff of 3,200 members, and our academic community comprises around 16,000 degree students. Our campuses are located in Joensuu and in Kuopio. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all.
|Type of employment||Temporary position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||1.9.2023 (or starting date as agreed)|
|Salary||General collective agreement for universities|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Lukas Kohl, +358294453366|
|Last application date||29.Jun.2023|