Water and ice are our passion at the Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW), in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering (D-BAUG) at ETH Zurich. We work in the domains of Hydraulic Engineering and Structures, River Engineering, Computational Fluid- and Morphodynamics and Glaciology, and are also very active in university teaching in these areas.
We introduce our exciting topics to the students of several degree programmes in different Master’s and individual Bachelor’s courses and thus train competent engineers to master current and future challenges.
Job description: We are looking for a motivated person to support the teaching at our Chair of Hydraulic Structures and coordinate the offered lectures.
Your tasks will include:
- Collaboration in and support of lectures and other courses in Hydraulic Engineering and River Engineering;
- Preparation, conduction and correction of examinations;
- Conduction of lecture exercises;
- Revision of lecture material in terms of content and language;
- Organization of student excursions/field trips;
- Development of topics and supervision of Bachelor’s, Project and Master’s theses.
- You have a Master’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering (or equivalent), with a specialization in Hydraulic Engineering;
- Ideally, you’ve already had first experience in teaching, e.g. in the context of an assistant or tutor position;
- You know at least one of the Swiss national languages;
- Knowledge of German is a great asset. Independent of your language profile, you are willing to work with materials written in German;
- Your English is on a high level (written and spoken);
- You work accurately and efficiently and are highly reliable;
- You enjoy working in a team.
We offer ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits. VAW is one of the world’s leading university institutions in the field of Hydraulic and River Engineering and offers a wide range of professional exchange in an international environment.
We value diversity In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected.
Curious? So are we. We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Short letter of motivation, showing your special interest in teaching activities (1 page)
- Complete transcript of records of your studies, incl. all Bachelor’s and Master’s courses (for all hydraulic engineering courses additionally a description of contents according to the Diploma Supplement)
About ETH Zürich: ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society.
Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Katharina Sperger, head of Teaching Assistance, email@example.com (no applications).