About University of Bologna: The University of Bologna is a public institution that traces its roots back to 1088. In a recent year, around 85,000 students attended the Italian university, and roughly seven percent of the student body was international. The institution has five campuses located in Bologna, Cesena, Forlì, Ravenna and Rimini.
The university’s main campus is in Bologna; about three-quarters of the student body studies there. The university also has a campus in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Tuition costs vary by subject and are not higher for international students. Student housing, which an outside organization manages, is available.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR FURTHER PHD POSITIONS FUNDED BY NEXT GENERATION EU – NRRP EX M.D. 117/2023 AND 118/2023 AND FROM OTHER SOURCES PHD PROGRAMMES (39TH CYCLE) A.Y. 2023/2024: Applications deadline is 22/08/2023.
Research fields: 01 – Agricultural and veterinary sciences 02 – Physical sciences 03 – Chemical sciences 04 – Earth Sciences 05 – Biological Sciences 06 – Medical sciences 07 – Mathematical and computer sciences 08 – Civil Engineering and Architecture 09 – Industrial and information engineering 10 – Ancient, philological-literary and historical-artistic sciences 12 – Legal sciences 13 – Economic sciences and statistics
Nationality of candidates; open to all: AFRICA EUROPE OCEANIA NORTH AMERICA SOUTH AMERICA ASIA
Annual amount of the scholarship: 16,243 Euros
How to apply for a PhD programme: PhD Programmes attendance at the University of Bologna is conditional upon passing an examination. The provisions governing the selection procedure are laid down in the Call for applications and its attachments.
Who can apply
- a graduate (second-cycle degree or single-cycle degree programme) of the University of Bologna or of another Italian or foreign university.
- an undergraduate (second-cycle degree or single-cycle degree programme) of the University of Bologna or of another Italian or foreign university and will graduate by 31 October 2023.
Call for Applications for the A.Y. 2023/2024 (39th cycle) For the A.Y. 2023/2024 two Calls for Applications for the admission in the PhD programmes will be published.
- The second Call for Applications is now open. Applications can be submitted up to August 22nd, 2023. The second Call is limited to the PhD programmes for which further PhD positions have become available. Read the Call [.pdf 770 KB].
- The first Call for Applications has expired. Selection procedures are now in progress. If you have submitted your application, you can follow the selection process on your Studenti Online personal page. The final ranking list will be published on the specific webpage of the PhD programme.
Select your PhD programme
- Check the list of the available PhD programmes and choose which one(s) is a good fit for you
- Carefully read the Call for applications [.pdf 770 KB] and the specific PhD programme table
- Check the list of the documents to attach to your application. You can find it in the relevant PhD programme table
Before applyingThe application must be submitted using the Studenti Online website only. If you are using it for the first time, you will be required to register submitting your personal data. If you are registered in Studenti Online, you can use the credentials you are already in possession of. If the credentials have not been used for a long time, an account recovery procedure is available on the University website.
Keep in mind that who has participated even once to a selection procedure or has been enrolled in an academic programme at the University of Bologna, is already in possession of the credentials firstname.lastname@example.org.
A new registration with the same anagraphic data will not be possible. In this case, the recovery procedure of the previous credentials is required. It is therefore advisable to start your application process well in advance of the deadline.
Submit the application
- While the call for applications is open, log in Studenti Online
- Select “Admission application”, then “PhD programme” and ”Next”
- Select the PhD programme you intend to apply for
- Fill in the online application form and upload the documents
- Remember to pay the €5 admission fee, before the deadline, using the PagoPA system only (check the Pago PA system user manual [.pdf 314 KB]).
- Click on ”Submit”
Applications that have been filled in but not submitted by the deadline of the call will be rejected. Other opportunities for PhD candidates For the a.y. 2023/24 a new Call for Application for the admission in the International PhD College will be published.
The Call will be addressed to particularly motivated and deserving students successfully admitted to a PhD programme among those of the 39th cycle offered by the University of Bologna. The International PhD College (I-PHD) is a community of Italian and international PhD students from different study areas and represents the third cycle degree programme of the Collegio Superiore – University of Bologna.
PhD students joining the International PhD College may be assigned a free accomodation and must integrate the research activity required by their PhD programmes with interdisciplinary and international training and “coworking” activities on crosscutting themes. For further information, please, refer to email@example.com.
For international applicantsEntry visa and residence permit for international PhD candidatesRead the information on entry visa and residence permit for international PhD candidates
Extra-quota positions If you’ve been awarded a scholarship funded by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation MAECI or by other Institutions in your Country of origin, and you’ve successfully passed the selection procedure as an eligible applicant, you shall be entitled to an extra-quota position. In order to obtain this possibility, please, submit an official document attesting your scholarship awarding.
AFORM – Settore Dottorato di ricerca
Via Irnerio 49, Bologna
Please, book an appointment via e-mail
+39 051 2094620
TELEPHONE HELP DESK OPENING HOURS
Wednesday: 9 am – 11:15 am
Thursday: 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm