The Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forests and Fisheries, is looking for full-time employment on October 1st, 2023 for a limited period until December 31st, 2032 a research assistant (f/m/d) environmental sciences, geography or agricultural sciences as part of research work in the joint project “PaludiZentrale: Superordinate coordination, networking and advice on MuD projects (“PaludiNetz”) as well as ecological and socio-economic accompanying studies”.
The model and demonstration (MuD) projects funded by the BMEL on “Peatland protection including the use of renewable raw materials from paludiculture” will prepare the large-scale conversion of management to wet peatland use and demonstrate the climate protection effects and other ecosystem services of paludicultures. The “PaludiZentrale” project will support the implementation of the MuD project and the data from the accompanying scientific studies evaluate.
The goals are in particular the overarching coordination, networking and advice on the MuD projects (“PaludiNetz”), ensuring the uniformity of the data collected, data synthesis, the development of recommendations for action for economically worthwhile paludicultures and their utilization in regional value chains and cooperation for the transfer of knowledge into practice.
The Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection is responsible for the coordination of the Paludi headquarters and for work in the field of greenhouse gases, soil, hydrology, water quality and changes in terrain elevation as well as for databases.
The work package “Soil, hydrology, water quality and terrain elevation changes” fulfills central Cross-sectional tasks, since reliable data on water levels, soil properties, nutrient levels, etc., which are collected uniformly across all MuD projects, are the elementary prerequisite for understanding not only of greenhouse gas exchange, but also of plant growth and biodiversity.
Tasks of the job holder include the organization of the MuD-wide working group “Hydrology, Water Quality, Soil and Terrain Elevations”, the harmonization of terrain and laboratory methods, Data collection & quality control and synthesis work.
In addition, MuD locations are to be integrated into the MoMoK network (“moor soil monitoring for climate protection”). The position is based in the Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection in a working group that deals with national and international research on organic soils.
• Organization of the cross-MuD working group “Hydrology, water quality, soil and terrain heights” • Harmonization of appropriate site and laboratory methods as well as advice and support for the MuD project during implementation
• Integration of the MuD locations into peatland monitoring for climate protection (MoMoK) • Data collection, quality control and data provision for other work packages • Synthesis of the data and participation in synthesis work on other subject areas • Writing peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Completed university degree (univ. diploma, MSc.) in the field of environmental sciences, geography, agricultural sciences or comparable courses
- Very good knowledge of hydrological and pedological field and laboratory methods (ideally with a focus on peat soils) required
- Knowledge of peatland is an advantage
- Relevant doctorate and/or thematically relevant scientific publications and/or relevant work experience would be an advantage
- Safe handling of common IT, very good knowledge of R, Python or another programming language required
- Very good communication and organizational skills, flexibility, team spirit, high motivation, enthusiasm for scientific work and the ability to work independently and in a structured manner
- Willingness to work on site as part of business trips lasting several days
- Drivers licence class B
- Very good knowledge of German (C1) and good knowledge of English required
We offer a varied job on a current research topic in an interdisciplinary joint project that includes practical work, sophisticated data analysis and integration into a Germany-wide network on paludicultures. You will work on interesting, challenging and practice-oriented activities in a dynamic research institute, characterized by lively interdisciplinary exchange.
We support the compatibility of work and family and are holders of the audit berufundfamilie certificate. In order to support compatibility, the Thuenen Institute offers, within the scope of the official possibilities, flexible working time models, home office and telework. Part-time employment is basically possible.
The employment relationship is based on the provisions of the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD). The remuneration is paid when the collective agreement and personal requirements are met in accordance with E13 TVoeD.
The position to be filled is subject to the assignment notification issued for the project and the sufficient availability of the allocated funds. The Thuenen Institute promotes the professional equality of women and men and therefore expressly welcomes applications from women. The Thuenen Institute is committed to inclusion. Applications from people with severe disabilities are therefore expressly encouraged. These are given special consideration in the selection process.
To apply: Please send your application (electronically as one document) with cover letter, tabular curriculum vitae with an overview of the training and career path as well as copies of certificates using the code “2023-187- AK/PaludiZentrale Boden” by September 10th, 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute
Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection
Federal Avenue 65
Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection