The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) is currently inviting applications for the position of a Full Professor of Botany and Vegetation Ecology
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), Department of Integrative Biology and Biodiversity Research, seeks to appoint a Full Professor of Botany and Vegetation Ecology with 1st July 2024. The position is offered in accordance with § 98 of the Universities Act 2002 in the form of an ongoing contract.
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, the “Alma Mater Viridis”, is the University of Sustainability and Life Sciences. It is BOKU’s task to make a key contribution to the conservation and protection of resources for future generations through its wide variety of expertise. Combining natural sciences, engineering plus social and economic sciences, its aim is to increase knowledge of the ecologically and economically sustainable use of natural resources. With 11,000 students and over 2,900 staff members, BOKU is one of Europe’s leading life science universities.
The Department of Integrative Biology and Biodiversity Research comprises the Institutes of Botany, Wildlife Biology and Game Management, Zoology, Integrative Nature Conservation Research, and Mathematics. Research focus of the department is on the analysis of plants and animals and their environment, from the level of organisms to ecosystems, and their importance for society.
The strategic aims are the integration of basic research with applied research to manage natural resources in a sustainable manner. The expected teaching will cover basic biology topics as well as advanced courses within the research fields of the bachelor and master programs. The infrastructure at the Institute of Botany, where the professorship is affiliated, includes a botanical garden, herbarium, genetic laboratory and a gene bank.
The applicant should be qualified in plant biodiversity with experiences in research and teaching. The focus in research should be vegetation research, population biology, systematics, or related subjects. Collaborations within and outside the Department as well as with stakeholders are expected to ensure a conservation of a biodiverse or sustainable land scape. Teaching involves courses in German and English language. The position covers the responsibility as head of the botanical garden.
• Venia docendi or foreign equivalent or an equivalent subject-relevant academic qualification.
• Relevant experience and competence in teaching, guidance in scientific work, as well as the supervision of junior scientists (PhD students). The candidate is expected to submit a teaching portfolio.
• Subject-specific research experience, national and international reputation, as well as ability to network.
• Excellent publication achievements in the scientific field.
• Sound international research experience.
• Teaching in German and English.
• Experience in the successful acquisition, execution and management of research projects.
• Cooperation with national and international research institutions and with relevant partners from public services and business.
• Management and interpersonal skills including gender and diversity management skills, communication and team skills.
• Participation in public relations.
• Participation in relevant focus and cooperation programs of the University.
• Participation in the self-governance of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna.
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken German and English or willingness to learn German in the first two years.
For more information about this position, please contact the Head of Department of Integrative Biology and Biodiversity Research, Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr. Peter Hietz, phone: +43 1 47654 83110, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your application in English by email to email@example.com and one hard copy no later than 30th September 2023 (date on postage stamp) to the Rectorate of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), Gregor-Mendel-Straße 33, 1180 Vienna, Austria.
Please include the following documents with your application:
• Brief explanation of why you believe yourself to be particularly suitable for this position (max. 1 page A4)
• CV including ORCID and details of professional, teaching and research activities (incl. teaching portfolio – further information is available in German at http://short.boku.ac.at/lehrportfolio)
• Draft concept for research and teaching; presentation of planned research priorities (max. 4 pages A4)
• List of publications (referenced / not referenced), presentations and projects
• Copies of 5 recent publications that you consider particularly important
By submitting the application, you also agree to the participation of an external recruitment consultant in the selection process.
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna is seeking to increase the number of its female faculty members and therefore, qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Women are given priority when qualifications are equal, except in cases where there are outweighing factors concerning another candidate.
People with disabilities and appropriate qualifications are specifically encouraged to apply.
The employment contract is classified as group A1 of the collective agreement for university employees.
Minimum gross yearly salary: € 81,571; the actual annual gross salary is subject to negotiation.
More information on this position and about BOKU and this department can be found on the website: https://boku.ac.at/