We are offering a PhD Position – Bacterial antiviral immunity: As a leading research institution for microbial biotechnology the Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Biotechnology (IBG-1) at the Forschungszentrum Jülich focuses on molecular and applied microbiology. The announced PhD position offers the opportunity to work in the inspiring environment of a DFG priority program focusing on “New concepts in prokaryotic virus-host interaction (SPP 2330)”.
Current projects of the group of Prof. Dr. Julia Frunzke focus on the regulatory interaction of (pro-)phages and their host and on novel anti-viral defense mechanisms. The fundamental understanding of phage-host interaction bears a high potential for applications in medicine, agriculture and biotechnology.
- Your PhD project will focus on novel antiviral (antiphage) strategies of bacteria. In particular, you will study the role of secondary metabolites and their mode of action in the defense against viruses infecting actinobacteria (Streptomyces)
- You will benefit from annual SPP meetings, workshops and trainings organized at the Forschungszentrum Jülich and within the frame of the priority program
- Your methodological focus will be on genetic engineering, next-generation sequencing (NGS, RNA-seq and ChIP-seq), LC-MS/MS, and single-cell analysis (microscopy and flow cytometry).
- MSc degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or similar disciplines
- Experience in and enthusiasm for Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Virology/Phage Biology
- Fluent command of written and spoken English
- High degree of independence and commitment
- Reliable and conscientious style of working and excellent ability to cooperate and work in a team
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the opportunity to actively help in shaping change. Here is what Forschungszentrum Jülich can offer you:
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure with low teaching load – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- Be a part of the innovative new DFG priority program focusing on “New concepts in prokaryotic virus-host interaction (SPP 2330)”, which started in summer 2021 and is led by Prof. Dr. Julia Frunzke
- Actively participate in (international) conferences and SPP project meetings
- A comprehensive training programme for scientific and personal development
- A structured doctoral program for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities via the JuDocs doctoral platform
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Partner university for the doctoral exam will be the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
In addition to exciting tasks and the collaborative working atmosphere at Jülich, The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. The salary is above average and in line with pay group 13 (75 %) of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund). In addition, an annual special payment is granted (“Christmas payment”), which amounts to 60 % of the monthly salary.
Responsible project leader:
Institute of Bio- and Geosciences
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
52425 Jülich, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)2461 61-5430
We particularly welcome applications from people from a diverse range of backgrounds (e.g. regardless of age, gender, disabilities, sexual orientation/identity, as well as social, ethnic, and religious background). We strive to offer a diverse and inclusive working environment in which people enjoy equal opportunities and are able to fulfill their potential.
We look forward to receiving your application by 20.10.2023