PostDoc position in Bioenergetic Modeling (E13/100%), Hohenheim and Jülich; The Biogeophysics group at the Institute of Soil Science and Land Evaluation of the University of Hohenheim and the Soil Systems Modeling group at Agrosphere (IGB-3) of the Forschungszentrum Jülich jointly offer the advertised position. Both groups conduct research to improve the understanding of biogeophysical and -chemical processes in terrestrial ecosystems.
We use innovative modeling tools in combination with experiments to analyze critical controls of process dynamics. Our research contributes to the sustainable use of soils under global challenges such as agricultural intensification and climate change.
You will contribute to project P6 | TraiMErgy of the DFG Priority Program 2322 SoilSystems. TraiMErgy uses process-based modeling to study complex interactions between the soil microbiome and carbon and energy flows in soil systems. You will be responsible for developing and implementing novel modeling approaches to couple thermodynamics with matter cycling.
The appointment is initially for 8 months at the University of Hohenheim with visits to Forschungszentrum Jülich. FZ Jülich offers the prospect of a 2-year extension with the opportunity to develop and work on your own research topic in the field of soil bioenergetics.
Your tasks in detail
- Development and implementation of process-based bioenergetic models simulating energy and matter flows in soil systems
- Model conditioning and calibration using Bayesian statistics
- Coordination of a data-model-integration workshop within the SPP SoilSystems
- Present and publish results at conferences and in peer-reviewed journals
- A doctorate in Natural Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Applied Mathematics, or a closely related subject
- Solid understanding of matter cycling, biogeochemical processes in agro-ecosystems, interest in thermodynamics
- Experience in developing process-based models using ordinary and partial differential equations
- Modelling and programming skills using scripting languages (R, Matlab, Julia, Python) and preferably also C++
- Record of published scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals including at least two first authorships
- Secure command of written and spoken English
- Structured, team-oriented and proactive working style
You have or want to acquire knowledge of
- Model analysis techniques and Bayesian interference for parameter estimation
- Bioinformatic analysis methods and machine learning
Please feel free to apply for the position even if you do not have all the listed skills. You will be able to learn some missing skills from us.
Application deadline : 31.10.2023
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Letter of motivation stating your research interests with respect to bioenergetic modeling
- Your CV
- A current list of publications highlighting up to three papers with a short explanation of their relevance to your research
- Certificates and documents showing your education and research experience
- Contact addresses of 1-2 referees
Please submit your application as soon as possible. The position will be advertised until it will have been filled. The University of Hohenheim accepts applications via a secure internet site. To the application