The Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forests and Fisheries, is looking for the next possible date limited to March 31, 2025 a research assistant (f/m/d) (environmental science, hydrology, water management) fully employed to work on the third-party funded project “Effects of established subsurface irrigation on greenhouse gas emissions and water quality”.
By means of subsurface irrigation, the water level in agriculturally used moors can be significantly increased while grassland continues to be used. After a previous project dealt with the effects of initial grassland renewal and water level increases, this project examines the effects of permanently high water levels on greenhouse gas emissions and water quality in an established system.
At the study site and at a conventionally deeply drained reference site, the CO2 exchange using eddy covariance technology as well as the emissions of methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) are recorded manually with hoods. In addition, a variety of hydrological and hydrochemical parameters measured to quantify the effects of subsurface irrigation on water quality. The study sites are fully equipped with instruments.
The central tasks of the position holder will be the implementation of water management coordinated with the agricultural business, the evaluation of hydrological and hydrochemical data and the writing of reports and publications.
The position is located at the Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection in a working group that deals with organic soils in national and international research. The project team will consist of three people and will also be led and supported by permanent scientists.
• Experimental support, ie coordination of the water management of the study area with the agricultural operation and all those involved in the project as well as appropriate control and maintenance
the water management infrastructure (pumps, storage facilities, hydrological measurement technology)
• Quality assurance and scientific evaluation of the recorded hydrological and hydrochemical data
• Participation in field campaigns, e.g. for manual measurement of the exchange of CH4 and N2O using hoods and for sampling soil, groundwater and surface water
• Organizing and preparing the content of meetings with an external committee of experts and writing project reports
• Completed university degree (University Diploma, MSc.) in the field of hydrology, water management, environmental sciences or comparable courses
• Professional experience in the field of hydrology, peatland management or relevant scientific publications would be an advantage
• In-depth knowledge of hydrology, soil physics and/or water chemistry required
• Confident use of common IT, very good knowledge of R, Python or another programming language required
• Knowledge of peatland science and/or grassland farming is an advantage
• Very good communication and organizational skills, flexibility, team spirit, practical skills and enthusiasm for scientific work as well as the ability to work independently
• Willingness to carry out field work as part of business trips that sometimes last several days or are planned spontaneously
• Drivers licence class B
• Very good knowledge of German (C1) and good knowledge of English required
We offer a varied activity on a current research topic. The work includes both practical activities at an established and comprehensively equipped investigation site as well as the scientific evaluation of hydrological and hydrochemical data.
The employment relationship is based on the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service (TVoeD). The fee is paid if the personal and collective bargaining requirements are met up to E13 TVoeD.
We support the compatibility of work and family and are holders of the “audit berufundfamilie” certificate. The Thuenen Institute offers, among other things, flexible working time models, home office and teleworking within the scope of official opportunities. Part-time employment is generally possible.
Professional equality between women and men is promoted, so applications from women are expressly welcomed.
The Thuenen Institute is committed to inclusion. Applications from people with severe disabilities are therefore expressly encouraged. These are given particular consideration in the selection process.
Please send your application (electronically as a PDF document) with a cover letter, a tabular CV including an overview of your training and career path as well as copies of certificates using the password “2023-243-AK/ UnFluP II-Hydrology” by November 6th, 2023 firstname.lastname@example.org
Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute
Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection
Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection