The Thuenen Institute of Climate-Smart Agriculture of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries in Braunschweig (Germany) invites applications for a full-time position as Scientist (f/m/d) in the joint research project „PaludiZentrale, sub-project 1: Coordination, network setup, advice of the model and demonstration projects (“PaludiNetz”) and overarching ecological and socio-economic analyses”. The position is to be filled at the earliest opportunity and is a fixed-term position until 31st December 2032.
The model and demonstration (M&D) projects for “Peat soil protection including the use of renewable resources from paludiculture” funded by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture will prepare large scale transformation of drainage-based peatland agriculture to paludiculture and demonstrate the climate mitigation effects and further ecosystem services of paludicultures. The project “PaludiZentrale” will support the implementation of the M&D projects und provide overarching analyses of data from scientific monitoring conducted in all projects.
Aims are the overarching coordination, the network setup and advice of the M&D projects (“PaludiNetz”), the harmonisation of measurement protocols and data, the data synthesis, the development of guidelines for economically viable paludicultures and their use in regional value chains as well as collaboration for knowledge transfer into practice.
The Thuenen-Institute for Climate Smart Agriculture is responsible for the coordination of the PaludiZentrale and work related to greenhouse gases, soils, hydrology, surface motion and data bases. A major goal of the M&D projects and of paludicultures in general is the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
Accordingly, these measurements have a high priority in all M&D projects. Carbon dioxide and methane exchange will be measured using the eddy covariance method, while nitrous oxide at drained reference sites will be measured manually with chambers.
Currently, we expect around 15 measurement sites. Tasks of the position holder comprise the organisation of the overarching working group “Greenhouse gases”, the harmonisation of the measurement design and data processing, data collection & quality control as well as data syntheses. The position is based at the Thuenen Institute for Agricultural Climate Protection in two working groups working on peatlands and micrometeorology.
• Organisation of the overarching working group “Greenhouse gases“
• Coordination of the harmonisation of measurement design, choice of instruments and data processing as well as consultation and support of the M&D projects (if needed)
• Data collection and quality control
• Quantification of the mitigation effects of paludicultures depending on plant species and site properties
• Derivation of emission factors for paludicultures to be used in the German emission inventory
• Writing of peer-reviewed publications
• University degree (Univ.-Diplom or M.Sc.) in the field of environmental sciences, geography, agricultural sciences or related subjects
• Profound knowledge on measurement and analysis of greenhouse gas exchange using the eddy covariance method, preferably at peatland sites required
• PhD and peer-reviewed publications relevant to the topic is beneficial
• Experience in analysing large data sets and conducting synthesis works is beneficial
• Profound knowledge of common computer software and of a programming language, preferably R or Python required
• Very good communication and organisational skills, flexibility, team spirit, high motivation, scientific curiosity and the ability to work independently
• Willingness to conduct field work
• Driving licence (class B)
• Very good knowledge of English, knowledge of German or willingness to learn is beneficial
We offer a varied activity on a current research topic in an interdisciplinary joint project, which primarily involves advanced data analysis and integration into a Germany-wide network on paludiculture.
You will work on interesting, challenging and practically relevant topics in a dynamic research institute, characterised by lively
We support the compatibility of work and family and are the holder of the audit berufundfamilie certificate. In order to support the compatibility, the Thuenen Institute offers, among other things, flexible working time models, home office and teleworking within the scope of the official possibilities. Part-time is possible in
The employment relationship is based on the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service (TVoeD). Salary payment is in accordance with pay group 13 of the TVoeD if the collective agreement and personal requirements are met.
The position to be filled is subject to the grant approval letter issued for the project and the sufficient availability of the allocated funds. The Thuenen Institute promotes professional equality between women and men and therefore expressly welcomes applications from women.
The Thuenen Institute is committed to inclusion. Applications from people with severe disabilities are therefore expressly welcome. They will be given special consideration in the selection process.
To apply: Applications with the usual documentation (CV, cover letter, certificates) including the keyword “2023-246-AKPaludiZentrale THG” shall be sent by email as one pdf file until 30.11.2023 to: Johann Heinrich von Thuenen-Institut
Institut fuer Agrarklimaschutz
Bärbel Tiemeyer firstname.lastname@example.org
Thuenen-Institut fuer Agrarklimaschutz, Braunschweig